Earn a Graduate Certificate in Youth Services and Literature from The University of Southern Mississippi and gain the expertise needed to serve young people in the library or educational environment. Our online certificate is designed to prepare students for careers related to children and young adult literature, programs and services.
This certificate may just be the beginning for you and your career, as 12 hours of electives can count for both a certificate and a Master of Library Information Science (MLIS). Let Online at Southern Miss help you achieve your goals. This is your life, plus college.
- LIS 517 – Literature and Related Media for Children 3 hrs.
- LIS 518 – Literature and Related Media for Young Adults 3 hrs.
- LIS 519 – Programs and Services for Youth 3 hrs.
Choose two; one must be 600-level or higher
- LIS 528 – Storytelling 3 hrs.
- LIS 590 – Library Instruction 3 hrs.
- LIS 629 – Studies in Children’s Literature 3 hrs.
- LIS 634 – History of Children’s Literature 3 hrs.
- LIS 670 – Topics in Services to Library Clientele 3 hrs.
- FAM 650 – Individual and Family Life Cycle Development 3 hrs.
- FAM 652 – Intimate Relationship Development 3 hrs.
- CIE 768 – Children’s Literature for the Early Years 3 hrs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will other classes besides the ones listed in degree requirements count towards my Youth Services and Literature certificate?
Other classes that aren’t listed may count towards your degree once your transcript has been evaluated and posted.
If yes, visit online.usm.edu/military for more information on how Southern Miss can serve you and your needs. We’re here to help you with funding and scholarship information, admissions and course enrollment.
Are there additional fees?
Additional course fees may apply. Fees range between $20-$60.