Nutrition and Food Systems MS (Management of Child Nutrition Programs)
Teaching others the art of healthy eating is something that you live for. You are ready to specialize and focus your knowledge on the dietetic practice and nutrition program for children, but sitting in a classroom to earn a masters degree may not be conducive to your current lifestyle. The University of Southern Mississippi offers a fully online Master of Science in Nutrition and Food Systems with an emphasis in Management of Child Nutrition Programs.
With this convenient and affordable program, you can customize your plan of study to fit with your busy lifestyle. Master this unique learning experience anywhere, anytime with this Nutrition and Food Systems MS from USM. Make it your life, plus college.
Alternately, USM also offers a Child Nutrition Program Management Undergraduate Certificate online, as well as a Management of Child Nutrition Programs Graduate Certificate online.
Check out some of the jobs our graduates landed after earning this degree.
- Child Nutrition Services Manager
- Director of Child Nutrition Services
- Health and Nutrition Coordinator
- Field Supervisors for Child Nutrition
- Health Promotion
- Community Health Worker
- Cooperative Extension Nutrition Worker
- Health Educator
Your future starts at Southern Miss!
Make sure to submit everything online to the Graduate School.
- Apply here: https://www.usm.edu/graduate-school/apply-graduate-school
- Submit test scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the last 5 years.
- Transcripts sent to the Graduate School.
- Basic nutrition class equivalent to our NFS 362.
Requirements for the Master of Science in Nutrition and Food Systems
Core Requirements (12-15 hours)
- DPH 623 – Biostatistics 3 hrs. or
- REF 602 – Introduction to Educational Statistics 3 hrs.
- NFS 703 – Research Techniques for Nutrition and Food Systems 3 hrs.
- NFS 715 – Recent Developments in Applied Nutrition 3 hrs.
- NFS 698 – Thesis 1-6 hrs. (6 hrs. required) or
- NFS 692 – Special Problems in Nutrition 1-4 hrs. (3 hrs. required) (professional project)
Requirements for Emphasis in Management of Child Nutrition Programs (21-24 hours)
- NFS 581 – Financial Management in Child Nutrition Programs 3 hrs.
- NFS 582 – Food Production Management in Child Nutrition Programs 3 hrs.
- NFS 625 – The Nutrition of Children 3 hrs.
- NFS 673 – Child Nutrition Program Management 3 hrs.
- NFS 690 – Current Topics in Child Nutrition Programs 3 hrs.
Choose 6-9 hours from among the following:
- EDA 650 – Educational Resources Development and Management 3 hrs.
- EDA 700 – Public School Finance 3 hrs.
- EDA 704 – School Community Relations 3 hrs.
- EDA 708 – Developing and Managing Human Resources 3 hrs.
- EDA 710 – School Law 3 hrs.
- EDA 742 – Consensus Decision Making in Education 3 hrs.
- LIS 558 – Internet Resources and Applications 3 hrs.
- NFS 810 – Food and Nutrition Public Policy 3 hrs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Additional course fees may apply. Fees range between $20 – $60.
The Mississippi Department of Education has approved the coursework in this program to meet the educational requirements for School Food Service Administrator. If you are from another state, please check with your state agency to determine if these courses will meet your state requirements.
If you have taken the GRE within 5 years you can have the scores sent to the graduate admissions office.
Can this Nutrition and Food Systems MS Degree be completed fully online?
Yes, the program is available totally online. Students are not required to visit campus for an in-class lecture; however, an online lecture may be required by your instructor.
Do online students pay out-of-state tuition?
No, online students pay resident tuition. For information about pricing, click here.
Are you a military veteran or service member?
If yes, visit online.usm.edu/military for more information on how Southern Miss can serve you and your needs. We will help you with funding and scholarship information, admissions, and course enrollment.