Kinesiology (Physical Education) MS
You thrive on helping students reach a new level of physical ability and value the lifelong benefits of physical exercise. You desire to provide a quality program that encourages activity for a lifetime. Online at Southern Miss can help you take that next step. Our fully online degree in the Master of Science in Kinesiology: Physical Education Emphasis program was created to allow you to enroll in online classes while never stepping foot in a traditional classroom. This physical education degree is designed to provide teachers, coaches, and instructors with the necessary tools and techniques to improve their classroom success.
Earning a master’s degree from Online at Southern Miss is a logical step for educators aiming to move forward in their career and lead the way in physical education instruction. Increase your knowledge and improve your skills with this convenient and affordable program, from anywhere, at any time. This is your life, plus college!
Alternately, we also offer a fully online MS in Sport Coaching Education.
Check out some of the jobs our graduates landed after earning this physical education degree.
- Physical Education Teacher
- Fitness Consultant
- Activity Program Director
- Curriculum Specialist
- Program Director
- Sports Coach
Your future starts at Southern Miss!
There’s more to teaching physical education than fun and games. A great physical education teacher is a mentor. A strategist. A supporter. To earn your physical education degree you must have:
- Exam scores required (choose one)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Praxis II: Physical Education Content Knowledge (5091)
- Praxis II: Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT)
- ACSM/NPAS Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist
- ACSM Certified Exercise Physiologist
- Bachelor’s degree GPA of 3.0 or higher in the last 62 hours of coursework
- Official transcripts from all institutions of higher education
- Cover letter, current resume and three letters of recommendation
- Complete admissions packet by July 1 to start fall semester
- Admissions application is completed through the Graduate School at https://www.usm.edu/graduate-school/apply-graduate-school
- If space remains, applications will be reviewed after July 1
Course Requirements (36-hour minimum)
- KIN 603 – Corrective and Adaptive Physical Education 3 hrs.
- KIN 604 – Advanced Motor Development 3 hrs.
- KIN 606 – Motor Learning 3 hrs.
- KIN 623 – Advanced Methods of Teaching Physical Education 3 hrs.
- KIN 625 – Program Design in Physical Education 3 hrs.
- KIN 644 – Foundations and Trends in Human Performance and Recreation 3 hrs.
- KIN 645 – Analysis of Teaching and Supervision in Physical Education 3 hrs.
- KIN 677 – Legal Aspects of Sport 3 hrs.
- KIN 680 – Research Techniques I 3 hrs.
- KIN 681 – Research Techniques II 3 hrs.
- KIN 684 – Sport Skill Analysis 3 hrs.
Core requirements total: 30 hours
The student must select either the thesis or non-thesis option.
- Thesis Option:
- KIN 698 – Thesis 1-6 hrs. For a total of 6 hrs.
- KIN 692 – Special Problems 3 hrs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Additional course fees may apply. Fees range between $20 – $60.
The program is designed for students who work and want to go to school part-time. We offer two courses a semester (fall, spring, summer), with the goal of each student graduating in two years.
We offer Fall semester start dates.
It is recommended that you have a fairly new computer and a high-speed Internet connection. For certain classes, students will need to have the ability to digitally record and upload their physical education class.
If I have already taken the GRE, do I have to take it again?
If you have previously taken the GRE, you may ask that the scores be sent to The University of Southern Mississippi, or you may choose to retake the GRE and have the new scores sent to USM. If you would like to have your score sent to The University of Southern Mississippi call the GRE testing center at 1-888-473-7267.
Who is my advisor or departmental contact?
Dr. Nancy Speed (email@example.com)
Does the standard tuition apply for part-time students?
Click here and choose the term that applies to view the costs associated with part-time enrollment.
What is the deadline for registering for classes?
Click here and choose the term that applies.
What is the minimum number of classes that I can take to be considered full-time?
You must enroll in at least 9 credit hours in order to have full-time status.
Does enrollment in the online physical education degree follow the standard academic calendar?
Yes, you’ll start and end classes on the same dates as the in-person students.
Will there be any courses that have face-to-face requirements?
No, none of the classes in the physical education emphasis have face-to-face requirements.
Are the exams required to be proctored?
It is up to the instructor of a course if an exam requires a proctor. You should always read the content in the syllabus and online course site to determine if a proctor is needed. There is an application that must be completed at least 15 days prior to taking an exam. For information about proctoring click here.
What are the costs?
What other online degrees are offered by Online at Southern Miss?
Please visit our programs page here: https://online.usm.edu/programs/
Will other classes besides the ones listed in degree requirements count towards my degree?
Other classes that aren’t listed may count towards your degree once your transcript has been evaluated and posted.
Can this degree be completed fully online?
Yes, the program is available totally online. Students are not required to visit campus for an in-class lecture; however, an online lecture may be required by your instructor.
Do online students pay out-of-state tuition?
No, online students pay resident tuition. For information about pricing, click here.
Are you a military veteran or service member?
If yes, visit online.usm.edu/military for more information on how Southern Miss can serve you and your needs. We will help you with funding and scholarship information, admissions, and course enrollment.