The start of the semester is upon us! It’s officially back to school time! Whether this is your first semester with us or you’re almost to the graduation finish line, starting back classes might feel a little overwhelming.
To make sure you have everything you need, we’ve created a printable Semester Checklist for you! We hope the checklist will show you step-by-step how to get ahead and not feel overwhelmed this semester.
Start of Semester Checklist
- Log into Canvas. It’s important that you log into our online learning management system, Canvas, on your first day of class! This is where you will find all of your information for your classes. Your Canvas username and password is the same as your SOAR username and password. (Username ex: w0123456)
- Become familiar with Canvas. Canvas will be a very important part of your online learning experience, so it’s important that you become familiar with it. We offer plenty of online resources for Canvas if you need help!
- Find and order your class materials. You can easily find the materials you need for your class and order your textbooks online through our campus Barnes and Nobles store. Follow these simple steps:
SELECT A CAMPUS – Your course will have a section number, i.e. H002, G003. H indicates Hattiesburg campus and G indicates Gulf Park campus. Choose your campus accordingly.
SELECT A TERM – This should automatically populate to fall 2019.
DEPARTMENT – Use the dropdown box to locate the initials of your course, i.e. MAT, ENG, IET, CD.
COURSE – Choose from the dropdown box the course number of your course, i.e. 492, 100, 100L.
SECTION – Choose from the dropdown box the section number of your course, i.e. G014, H002.
- View important dates on the Academic Calendar. To keep up with the last day to drop/add a class without financial penalty, advisement dates, and what holidays classes aren’t in session, you must look at the Academic Calendar from the Registrar’s office.
- Read class syllabus. This might seem like a no-brainer, but reading your class syllabus (some faculty have already posted before classes officially start!) can really make you feel like you’re getting ahead in class. You’ll feel prepared and ready to take on the semester.
- Create study calendar. Learning time management is a very important part of being an online student. (Just ask our other students!) Planning time out of your busy schedule specifically for studying is crucial. We’ve created a blank calendar for you below that you can print out to block off time for studying!
- Take a deep breath and have fun! Just remember to take everything one step at a time and enjoy the journey!
We hope the free, printable checklist and study calendar help you rise to the top this semester!