TRANSFER YOUR CREDITS
FINISH YOUR DEGREE
We know that sometimes life can pull you in different directions. Whether it’s a new job, family obligations, or military deployment, Online at Southern Miss offers you the convenience and flexibility to finish your degree without having to come to campus. Education is on your time. As the most affordable online college in the nation and the top public university in Mississippi for online education, Southern Miss is your golden opportunity!
Start Your Application
Scholarships | Financial Aid
Here at Southern Miss, we want to make your transfer process easy! Below we’ve listed all you need to know about scholarships, transferring, and our online degrees.
A transfer applicant can be admitted to Southern Miss through several different routes. Please note that admission to some academic programs may require students to meet additional requirements.
From business to nursing, we have an accredited, fully online bachelors degree for you. Fully online means you never have to come to our Hattiesburg or Gulf Coast campus! You can earn your degree on your time. This is truly your life, plus college.
We have scholarships that are created specifically for transfer students! Two of the best scholarships that we offer transfer students are the Transfer Academic Scholarship and the Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Scholarship.
Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship
- Student can earn $1,000 scholarship. (One-time)
- Completed (or in the process of completing) 48 credit hours, but has not exceeded 119 credit hours
- Must be a member of PTK Honor Society with a 3.25 cumulative college GPA
- PTK Scholarship can be stacked
- Documentation Required: Certificate or proof of membership must be submitted by the appropriate deadline
Transfer Academic Scholarship
- Student can earn a $2,000 scholarship per semester with a total value of $4,000-$8,000 depending on transfer credit hours.
Transferring from Community/Junior College
- Students with 48-89 transfer credit hours will receive the scholarship for 2 years (4 fall/spring semesters).
- Students with 90-119 transfer credit hours will receive the scholarship for 1 year (2 fall/spring semesters).
- Students with a cumulative college transfer GPA of 3.0 or above are eligible.
- Students transferring from any accredited institution are eligible.
- Can be stacked with the PTK Scholarship, Mississippi All-Academic First State/National Team Scholarship, Transfer Eagle Scout/Gold Award Scholarship, and Mississippi Community/Junior College President’s Scholarship.
Transferring from a University
- Eligible students must have a minimum 21 composite ACT score, a 3.0 core high school GPA and a 3.0 cumulative college transfer GPA.
- Students with less than 48 transfer credit hours from a four-year institution will receive the scholarship for 3 years (6 fall/spring semesters).
- Students with 48-89 transfer credit hours from a four-year institution will receive the scholarship for 2 years (4 fall/spring semesters).
- Students with 90-119 transfer credit hours from a four-year institution will receive the scholarship for 1 year (2 fall/spring semesters)
- Documentation Required: Test scores and high school transcripts are typically not required for transfer admissions. Test scores and high school transcripts must be on file with the Office of Admissions by the required deadline in order to receive this scholarship.
For more information on transfer scholarships, click here.
To apply for any of the scholarships above, click here.
Along with scholarships, online students can also receive financial aid for their tuition. FAFSA and MTAG are two good options for transfer students seeking financial aid.
Testing for online students may include proctored exams. These proctored exams can be done on our Hattiesburg or Gulf Coast campus.
If that is not convenient for you, you may locate the nearest community college, college, university, the local superintendent of education’s office, a public library, or an educational testing/tutoring facility.
If a testing facility is not available to you, online proctoring may be an option through SmartProctoring.
Proctored exams fees may apply.
Meet Alden Bennett… Alden is here to help make your transition from your current community/junior college or university to Southern Miss smooth and simple. Alden can help walk you through any transfer process or scholarship application. If you have any questions about any of our programs, tuition cost, or testing options, please feel free to contact him!Department Phone: 601-266-5000
Office Phone: 601-266-5823
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org See what Alden has to say on Twitter!