Get Your Online Elementary Education Masters from Southern Miss!
Earn an Educational Curriculum and Instruction (Elementary Education) MEd from The University of Southern Mississippi and increase your expertise and classroom knowledge. With more focus being put on the quality of education, educators need the opportunity to increase their professional competency in the classroom. Our online Elementary Education Masters provides our students with the necessary coursework to meet standards of teaching licensure at an advanced level.
This program was designed with you – the working teacher – in mind. We understand that your schedule may not allow for a traditional learning experience, but Online at Southern Miss offers you an online and affordable option to advance your classroom with an online Elementary Education Masters from Southern Miss. This is your life, plus college.
The University of Southern Mississippi is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools of Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). That means you can expect a program with the highest standards and quality.
The Graduate School will be authorizing standardized test waivers to applicants to the Spring, Summer, and Fall 2021 terms.
Requirements (30 hours)
Research In Reading (1-16 hrs.)
Curriculum in the Elementary School
Teaching Language Arts in the Elementary Grades
Elementary Mathematics Methods
Social Studies Education in Elementary School
Seminar in Early Childhood Education
Elective 12 hrs. from CIE, CIR, SPE, ARE, MUS, SME, EDA, REF
Please note that the above information is meant to be a guide and is not official. For further information regarding courses for this degree, see the University Bulletin. Please be aware that not all course choices listed in the University Bulletin are available online. However, sufficient online options are available to complete this degree.
Frequently Asked Questions
For additional information and guidance on out-of-state professional licensure, please visit the Professional Licensure Disclosures page.
Other classes that aren’t listed may count towards your online elementary education masters degree once your transcript has been evaluated and posted.
No, online elementary education masters students pay resident tuition. For information about pricing, click here.
If yes, visit online.usm.edu/military for more information on how Southern Miss can serve you and your needs. We’re here to help you with funding and scholarship information, admissions and even enrolling in courses.
Please visit our programs page here: https://online.usm.edu/programs/ .
Yes, the online elementary education masters program is available totally online. Students are not required to visit campus for an in-class lecture; however, an online lecture may be required by your instructor.
Additional course fees for the online elementary education masters may apply. Fees range between $20-$60.
In addition to the requirements detailed in Admission Requirements and Procedures, applicants must meet the following requirements and submit the following documents:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum grade point average of 3.00 (4.00 scale) on the last 60 hours of undergraduate study.
- Official scores from one of the following standardized exams – Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Praxis II Subject Assessment Examination.
- Letters of Recommendation – Three (3) letters of recommendation from professionals in the field of education who are qualified to assess the applicant’s readiness for graduate study.
- Statement of Purpose – In a letter or essay format, describe your professional experiences and goals and how obtaining this degree will help you to realize those goals.
- Copy of current educator license. Students who are otherwise qualified, but who do not hold a current educator license, may be admitted on a conditional basis, and will have until the end of the first semester of enrollment to obtain appropriate licensure.
This program admits new students each term.