Business Administration MBA
Do you want to become a business person, an entrepreneur, or would you simply like to advance your current career? Earning your online Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from Southern Miss can help you achieve your career goals while you enjoy the convenient benefits of an affordable, flexible program. Our fully online business degree will give you an advanced knowledge of business while making you more competitive and marketable in the industry.
The University of Southern Mississippi’s MBA is accredited by the AACSB and was ranked in the top 200 “Best Part-Time MBA Programs” by U.S. News and World Report. No matter where you live, earn your online Masters in Business Administration from one of the top business programs in the country. Let your education from The University of Southern Mississippi take you where you want to go. Your life, plus college.
1. Application to the Graduate School: The online graduate application portal (https://www.usm.edu/graduate-school/apply-graduate-school) is used to submit all application materials. A non-refundable application fee of $60 must be paid prior to the submission of the completed application.
2. Transcripts: Official transcripts from every institution of higher learning previously attended must be submitted to the Graduate School. Graduate School policy requires a minimum 2.5 GPA on the last 60 hours of your bachelor’s degree to apply (2.75 for regular admission).
3. Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE): The GMAT or the GRE is required to be considered for admission to the program and can be waived for applicants with a master’s degree or higher. An applicant may also request waiver consideration from the GRE/GMAT requirement if s/he can demonstrate 5 years or more of significantly progressive management work experience.
4. Personal Essay (Statement of Purpose)
5. Three Letters of Recommendation
7. Cover Letter
8. Immunization Records
9. Prerequisites: Applicants with an academic background in a non-business discipline may need to complete business prerequisites in 3 areas: accounting, finance, and statistics. These prerequisites can be met with a 3 hour course (undergraduate or graduate) in each of the 3 areas. These prerequisites must be satisfied before applying to the program.
Business core pre-requisite requirements (for students who do not have an undergraduate degree in business) are as follows:
- ACC 200 – 3 hrs.
- BA 201 – 3 hrs.
- FIN 300 – 3 hrs.
Business core pre-requisite requirements (9 hours) will normally be waived for students who have undergraduate degrees in business. Pre-requisite requirements can be met by taking undergraduate or graduate courses in the 3 areas above.
Advanced course requirements for the M.B.A. are as follows:
- MBA 600 – Organizational Behavior and Leadership 3 hrs.
- MBA 605 – Marketing Management 3 hrs.
- MBA 610 – Analytical Decision Making 3 hrs.
- MBA 611 – Managerial Accounting 3 hrs
- MBA 620 – Global Economy 3 hrs.
- MBA 640 – Financial Management 3 hrs.
- MBA 650 – Global Business Systems 3 hrs.
- MBA 660 – Global Business Strategy 3 hrs.
- Approved Electives 9 hrs. *
Business core pre-requisite courses must be taken prior to enrolling in M.B.A. classes.
* Approved electives are in the College of Business. BA 600, BA 611, BA 630, BA 650, BA 670 and BA 680 do not meet degree program requirements of the MBA program. These courses may only be used to meet prerequisite requirements for program admission.
The College of Business offers two dual degree programs, one in conjunction with the College of Health. The Master of Business Administration/Master of Public Health (MBA/MPH) degree program is designed for students interested in pursuing top-level administrative positions in health care organizations and/or consulting. The Master of Business Administration/Master of Science in Sport Management (MBA/MSM) is ideal for those interested in careers at the executive level of the sports industry, offering industry experience as well as business expertise. Both dual degree programs are a minimum 63 semester hours. Candidates must meet requirements and prerequisites of BOTH the MBA program and the partner program (MPH or MSM) in order to qualify for admission. More detailed information on these exciting programs is available online at www.usm.edu/mba. Applicants must apply to both programs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I submit my application before all of my letters of recommendation, official test score(s), and/or official transcript(s) arrive?
Yes; once you complete the application for the online masters in business administration and upload your resume, cover letter, and statement of purpose, you should be able to pay the application fee and submit your application. The outside documents can still be added after you submit your application.
There is no minimum score because performance on the GMAT or GRE is only one component of the application package. The average GMAT score of applicants admitted to the program is approximately 500 (on a scale of 200-800); a GRE score equivalent to this GMAT score would be expected. To be accepted into the online masters in business administration, scores must be no more than 5 years old.
Deadlines for International Applicants:
- March 1 – Summer Admission
- April 1 – Fall admission seeking a Graduate Assistantship
- May 1 – Final Fall Admission
- October 1 – Spring Admission
Deadlines for All Other Applicants:
- April 1 – Summer admission and fall admission seeking a Graduate Assistantship
- June 1 – Final fall admission
- November 1- Spring admission
Previous graduate coursework may be able to be used in place of the undergraduate GPA. Another alternative would be to earn a second bachelor’s degree with a higher GPA.
How do I determine if I need any prerequisites for this business degree?
Please send a copy of your transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org for review. If you do need prerequisites, you can satisfy the requirements on the undergraduate or graduate level. We offer an online graduate certificate program in business foundations, and two of the four courses can be used to meet the accounting and finance prerequisites.
I graduated from USM, do I need to send official transcripts?
If USM is the last institution you attended, and you previously sent all other transcripts, the Graduate School will pull those for you.
When are the classes offered?
i. MBA 600, 605, 611, and 640 are offered in the fall.
ii. MBA 610, 620, 650, and 660 are offered in the spring.
iii. MBA students typically take electives in the summer.
How long will it take for me to complete this business degree online?
i. Students admitted in a fall or summer semester can complete their MBA online in about two years by taking two classes a semester.
ii. Students admitted in a spring semester may take an additional year because the capstone course, MBA 660, and comprehensive exam are only offered in the spring. In order to take the capstone and comprehensive exam, students must have already completed all four fall classes and must have already completed or be enrolled in the other three spring classes.
How do I earn an emphasis in Sports Security Management?
i. MBA students can declare an emphasis in Sports Event Security Management by taking the following three electives:
1. SM 620 – Introduction to Sport Security Management
2. SM 626 – Threat and Risk Assessment of Sports Venues
3. SM 629 – Sport Event Emergency Response Planning
ii. Depending on when these electives are offered, the timeframe to complete the MBA online with a Sport Security Management emphasis may vary.
Do online students pay out-of-state tuition?
No, online masters in business administration students pay resident tuition.
Will other classes besides the ones listed in degree requirements count towards my degree?
Other classes that aren’t listed may count towards your online masters in business administration degree once your transcript has been evaluated and posted.
Can this degree be completed fully online?
Yes, the online masters in business administration program is available totally online. Students are not required to visit campus for an in-class lecture; however, an online lecture may be required by your instructor.
Are you a military veteran or service member?
If yes, visit online.usm.edu/military for more information on how Southern Miss can serve you and your needs. We will help you with funding and scholarship information, admissions and course enrollment.
Are there additional fees?
Additional course fees to the online masters in business administration may apply. Fees range between $20-$60.
What other online degrees are offered by Online at Southern Miss?
Please visit our programs page here: https://online.usm.edu/programs/