vector art of a chalk board with a drawing of Mississippi for the Mississippi Teaching License blog

How to Get a Mississippi Teaching License

| 2 minute read

You love kids and have always wanted to help others. It comes naturally to you. That is why you want to know how you can get a Mississippi teaching license. You have a lot of questions: What options exist for Mississippi teacher licensure? Do I have to go through the Mississippi Department of Education? Well don’t worry, we have the answers you are looking for all in one place.

Where do I get a Mississippi teaching license?

The Mississippi Department of Education (MS DOE) oversees k-12 teaching licensure in Mississippi.

What types of licenses can I get in Mississippi?

According to the MS Department of Education, there are a number of licenses. These include:

  • Class A = Bachelor’s level license
  • Class AA = Master’s degree level license
  • Class AAA = Specialist degree level license
  • Class AAAA = Doctorate degree level license (Juris Doctorate and Master of Fine Arts Degrees are issued at the Class AAA Level)

Other limited licenses can be obtained through MS DOE.

How do I get my Mississippi teacher license?

You have a few options when it comes to earning your Mississippi teaching license according to MS DOE. Prospective educators in Mississippi can obtain certification through:

  • traditional teacher and administrator education programs
  • alternative teacher and administrator certification programs
  • reciprocity

Which Mississippi teaching license is right for me?

If you do not have a bachelor’s degree, you can pursue your bachelor’s degree in education. This traditional route includes classes, student teaching, and other degree and testing requirements.

If you already have a bachelor’s degree in an area other than education, you can still get your license. There are alternate routes designed just for you. The MS DOE currently offers four methods to obtaining certification through the Alternate Route. The Alternate Route Teacher programs are:

  • Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) 7-2017
  • Mississippi Alternate Path to Quality Teachers (MAPQT) 8-2015
  • Teach Mississippi Institute (TMI) 9-11-17
  • American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE) 3-2016


Who can help me along the way?

The Mississippi DOE is ready to help. They have an Office of Educator Licensure that works to assist prospective educators and current Mississippi public school educators. They can help you obtain your license and maintain and implement licensure guidelines.

The Division of Educator Licensure is the sole office within the Mississippi Department of Education to issue licenses and to implement Mississippi laws and policies adopted by the Mississippi State Board of Education relating to the licensing of teachers, instructional support personnel, and administrators for preschool through Grade 12 (P-12).

I already have a license in another state. How do I get one in Mississippi?

The MS DOE offers a reciprocity option for teachers who already have a license. Learn more about reciprocity options here.

How do I apply for a Mississippi Teaching License?

The DOE has both an online and paper application. The Mississippi Licensure Guidelines require that all educators submit a completed licensure application with any licensure request.

Now that you know all the options, it is time to make your choice. Do you want to go the traditional route and earn your bachelor’s degree in education? Or choose an alternate route program such as an MAT program? Teachers have an impact every day on the lives of students. Whichever option you choose, you can be proud you are making a difference.

Office of Online Learning

All blog posts are written and maintained by the Office of Online Learning at The University of Southern Mississippi. We provide support to online students, to faculty teaching online courses, and to units seeking to develop, grow, or improve online programs at the University.

For more information, email us at