Can your military spouse use your GI Bill?

| | 2 minute read

Being in the military comes with some big rewards. One of those big rewards is education. Maybe you’re wondering if (and how) you can use your active military spouses educational benefits – such as their GI Bill. Or if there are scholarships designed for military spouses. We have good news for you! Those options are both available to you!

Can you transfer your GI Bill to your spouse?

Yes! Your GI Bill is transferable under these conditions:

“The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The request to transfer unused GI Bill benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the Armed Forces. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them at VA.” – The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

If you are approved to transfer your unused Post-9/11 GI Bill to your spouse, your spouse will be able to:

  • Use the benefits immediately
  • Use the benefits while their spouse remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty
  • Has no limit to use benefits (if servicemembers last discharge is after January 1, 2013.)

Are scholarships available for military spouses?

The University of Southern Mississippi’s Center for Military Veterans, Service Members and Families offers a multitude of scholarships designed specifically for military members and their families. One of the National Military Scholarships that is available to you, as a military spouse, is the Military Spouse Scholarship.

Military Spouse Scholarship

“The mission of this education and professional support scholarship program is to help prepare military spouses for meaningful employment and to better contribute to their family’s financial security.”

This scholarship funds, on average, $1,000. It can be used towards degrees, certifications, licensures, and more! Any spouse with a valid military ID is eligible for this Military Spouse Scholarship.

How do I get started?

Our Center for Military Veterans, Service Members and Families is dedicated to helping you start this journey of higher education – no matter where you are located! Our Center has even worked to waive the application fee for military spouses who are looking to earn their degree. There is no better time than now to start your journey to higher education! We can help you find the degree that’s right for you, we can help you apply for scholarships, or help you learn about GI Bill options! Our Center is here to help serve you!

Office of Online Learning

All blog posts are written and maintained by the Office of Online Learning at The University of Southern Mississippi. We provide support to online students, to faculty teaching online courses, and to units seeking to develop, grow, or improve online programs at the University.

For more information, email us at