You’ve just made one of the biggest decisions of your life: You’re going to grad school! Up ahead, you’ll do a lot to make your mark on the field you’ve decided to study. The work and research put into your studies will make you a more respected member of your field, and you will gain knowledge to do more at your job. But before all that, you just have to take the first step: take the GRE.
What is the GRE?
The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) is a standardized test that universities require applicants to take before they are admitted to a graduate program. This exam will test your quantitative and verbal reasoning abilities as well as assess your skills in analytical writing.
How do I register for the GRE?
Registering for the GRE is easy! Follow these steps:
1. Begin by going to the GRE website: https://www.ets.org/gre/.
2. Scroll down until you see the “Register Now” button on the left-hand side and click the button.
3. On the next page, scroll to the button labeled “Create or Log In to Your ETS Account Now” in the center column and click the button.
4. On this page you’ll see options to log in or create an account. If you don’t have an account, click “Create an Account,” and enter your information. If you already have an account, log in.
5. Once you’ve logged in, click the “Register/Find Test Centers, Dates” button at the top of the left-hand column.
6. On this page, you’ll be prompted to select the type of GRE test for which you would like to register. There are multiple versions of the test, and many programs require the General GRE Test. If you are uncertain which test to register for, be sure to contact the department you’re applying to, before registering.
7. Once you’ve selected the test version, you will select the place and exam date range for the exam. When you’ve entered your area and date range, click “Find available test centers and dates.”
8. You’ll be given a list of dates to choose from. Click on a date to expand the list of locations in your area. Be sure to crosscheck the map presented with the location you select.
9. Once you’ve decided on a date and location, click “Show Test Times” for your chosen location, and select a time by clicking “Register”.
10. Read the policies and accommodation information. Once you’ve read all the available information, check the box indicating that you understand and agree to the testing policies.
11. Click the “Next” button.
12. Review the personal information, GRE search Service, and Background Information. The final screen, you will find a list of test prep materials, the website provides. Select any that you wish to add to your registration and continue to the next page.
13. On this page, review the price and list of everything you’ve added to your cart, include the test registration and any test prep materials you added on the previous screens.
14. Follow the steps to pay. Once you’ve paid you’ll be taken to your account’s homepage. Congratulations! You are registered for the GRE!
Once you’ve registered
After you’ve registered, you can log in at any time to view your account. From your account homepage, you can register for more tests, review your test scores, shop for more practice test materials, and a lot more.
Now that you’ve taken the first step, the true work can begin! The GRE is the perfect tool to get you back into the mindset of school. If you would like more information, visit the GRE website.